Chapter 6: Page 5.

Chapter 6: Page 5.

Still working out how this thing is gonna be colored.

1. shuagh says:

Call me a nostalgist, but I’ve got to admit that I find the new coloring a bit garish, although this might be only in comparison to your previous color palette. Something about the simple earth tones matched the genre and themes of your comic very well.

• Angelina says:

I agree. The colors aren’t quite there for me yet.

• pencilears says:

I too, liked and miss the brown. for lots of potentially very articulate and not whiny and infantile at all reasons.

Not that seeing the true artificial candy-purple of Wildberry Shanghai Smoke isn’t a lovely thing, it is. and the drape of the see-through pink shawl Reagan is rocking is also quite nice.

• Kanothae says:

The colors appear garish because of the wide gamut – you normally want to limit the palette for a scene and adjust it to appear consistent with lighting conditions of the set. What Spike did was use unadjusted base colors, but she’s just experimenting with shading now (which I may add looks really nice in this page), she’ll figure out scene palettes soon enough and the color will be perfect.

2. Sean K. says:

So maybe one needs a spiritual prescription for certain substances…

3. Jay? says:

Shanghai Smoke wildberry liquor, huh? Sounds like EXACTLY the kind of thing i’d drink. cheap, hard, and sweet.

4. Flether says:

“Ask your spiritual advisor about psilocybin” … TAZ has some weird pharmaceutical laws.

• TwoD says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been so jealous of fictional characters. OTC weed , MDMA and psilocybin? Sign me up.

• tricksterson says:

Sounds more like rational pharmaceutical laws to me

• Halykan says:

Yeah. To be honest Templar seems like a place where I’d love to live. All kinds of interesting subcultures, a very hands-off city government, and some awesome music. Shame it’s fictional.

5. Colin says:

I gotta say, even in color Rae is a turn-on for me :)

Congrats on trying out this new style. Doing good!

• tricksterson says:

You see, that’s my one problem with the colorization, I don’t like how it makes Regan look. Everyone else so far looks fine but she comes across as pinnch-faced and bloated.

6. Klaatu says:

I still can’t bring myself to pronounce his name “Skippo”.

7. batneko says:

I like the color because LOOK AT HOW BLUE THAT BOOZE IS. That kind of class would not come across in sepia. XD

8. xero says:

wildberry booze that has a smoke taste HOLY CRAP the food in this universe is nasty

9. Chris says:

I only just now got back to reading Templar after forgetting it existed. Please do’nt kill off Sunny or Moze or Gene or anyone.

10. Jonboy says:

Loving updates. Loving colour. Wishing there was wider panels so we can see rae’s booty. lol.

11. Dotcom says:

The color looks really nice in this update. The color has looked beautiful in the updates but this one is the best so far. It looks more natural and works for the characters better—especially Reagan. Really curious who and why Scipio is trying to get drunk. Wondering also when and by who Ben’s beaten carcass is going to be discovered. The poor guy is going to need 12 transfusions by now.

12. Ziggy Stardust says:

Ever asked somebody for help and then instantly regretted it? Yeah, me too.
    I think I like the colors in this one because it really brings the characters out of the background.

13. George Spelvin says:

Personally I’d rather ask a trained mycologist than a spiritual adviser. Just saying.

• tricksterson says:

To be fair we don’t know what qualifications (if any) are required to be a “spiritual advisor” in this world. Maybe you need to pass a board exam, have a degree in pharmacology etc.

• Hielario says:

Or maybe it’s that psilocibin is a heavy allucinogen and those sometimes create religious delusions … i remember reading something about someone who tried to make an acid-based religion.

• Jenny Islander says:

Like, this is the warning poster the government makes you put up in your store if you sell shrooms, so Joe Random Head hopefully doesn’t take it without preparation and think he saw something new and improved and go on to wreck a lot of people’s lives? That would explain why the model on the poster looks like Hell.

• George Spelvin says:

I’d be very concerned for religious freedom anywhere that government is empowered to license spiritual advisers.

14. AJ says:

Once again I’d like to say “Yay updates!” in my nicest, not-demanding-anything gosh-I-like-this voice.

“Yay updates!”

15. Kat says:

This page is like a “how to do amazing, expressive lettering 101″. I love it.

16. C. Mage says:

God, that look Reagan gives Scip. If Adolf Hitler was on the business end of that look, he would’ve given up politics and gone back to painting.