On this page: Important lessons are learned.

I was supposed to be at MoCCA in New York, today, but my books failed to be delivered on time, so there was no point in going. I’m pretty annoyed about it.

Some of my books are still there, though, since I mailed the ones I had ahead. Check table C7! Ryan and Dave ought to be selling them for a pretty good price.

And hello, new readers from SMBC and Something Positive! Hope you stick around.

1. ABYSchan says:

Jackie’s expression is very appropriate for watching her elder brother choke another one of her brothers with such precision of training.

2. Myles says:

Heh, Feather’s complete lack of concern is hilarious. Zora’s concern is a little bit heartbreaking.

3. Jason Thorn says:

When you are very young and find out your father is very, very good at killing someone, you will latch on to any possible solution to turn the boogeyman back into your father, even if it involves magical thinking.

• Mariposiosa says:

I think she’s referring to fixing the videogame. In her mind the whole problem at the moment is that he couldn’t finish the game. That’s probably the whole problem in Gene’s mind too.

• CatOfEvilGenius says:

Mairpo, I think you’ve got it in a nutshell.

But is this the first time Zora has seen Eugene violent? I wonder. Seems Feather has definitely seen this before. Before he’s only like this with his crazy kin around?

Where is Zora’s deadbeat mom?!

• CatOfEvilGenius says:

ugh, can’t spell

*Perhaps* he’s only like this with his kin around, not *before*.

And Mariposiosa, sorry, totally botched your name there.

• loroca says:

didn’t zora’s mom get married at like 14 and is currently trying to find a way of getting forever out of association with these people before coming back to get her?

from what I remember of a pic spike drew anyway. http://twitpic.com/y4mfp

4. maritza says:

No you can’t, Zora, you’re like SEVEN or something ¬.¬

Better let Granny handle this one.

• Thatty says:

Seven or something and AWESOME.
      I’d like to think she’s a future genius/current genius. Hell, if a child is “rambunctious” it usually means they’re just naturally inquisitive and developing in a healthy way. Or they have ADHD. Generally it’s the former, though.
      I just hope Zora gets through this…thing…okay and doesn’t turn out like Pippi. Please, Spike, please don’t let her turn into Pippi. Please. Or show a new, better side of Pippi so I don’t worry as much about Zora.

• sisterscientist says:

Pretty sure she’s five or six, since when she ran off from school in ch. 1 Reagan huffed about having to smack a kindergarten teacher :V

• Dotcom says:

I think she means she can fix the game controller.

5. Scott Bieser says:

You know, I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Marcus.
    Almost.

6. Jo says:

Feather is kind of awesome.

• If by “awesome” you mean “a reptilian sociopath”, you’re spot on, Old Chum.

…Come to think of it, alligators are doting mothers right up until they decide one of the young’uns is no longer viable and eat it.

7. Casey says:

I’m guessing that Zora is thinking she can fix Eugene’s bad score on the videogame.

8. B says:

Feather’s reaction is appropriate. How else is Marcus gonna learn that fire hurts when you touch it?

9. Fafnir13 says:

Hmm, the gasping noises stopped. I wonder what systems Templar might have in place to take care of unwanted bodies.

• Eric says:

Feather asked if he was awake (like he was going to answer – LOL) and is telling him that he’s too stupid to breed, so she must think he’s still alive, I suppose. I hope Eugene lets go when he looses consciousness, if he hasn’t already. Maybe Zora will distract him.

• Twilytgardnfaery says:

This is Feather we’re talking about. She could just be completely oblivious to the fact that he straight-up stopped breathing. If this is the case, I suspect her reaction will be utterly dismissive when she figures it out.

10. Pearle says:

Why do moms DO THAT?

• Ozymandus says:

AMEN!! there was nothing nastier, when I was a kid, then the smell of adult saliva after getting my cheek cleaned, even if I couldn’t ACTUALLY smell it, I believed I could, and that was bad enough.

Excellent characterization touch, that. The counterpoint between Feather’s seeming nonchalance and such a motherly action is almost… creepy.

• Mary says:

I had an uncle that (in my childhood) would grab my face, jerk it roughly towards him, and then he would proceed to lick the side of my face from chin to forehead. Called them “moose kisses.” Since it was an unanswered question as to what nasties he was carrying in his bloodstream, etc, I always went running to wash it off ASAP.

Trust me, the smell of adult saliva is not your imagination. It exists, and it can be NASTY. Little kid saliva (sometimes they lick things at the store; so you get home, pick up a yogurt container, use your teeth to rip off the top wrapper thing, and suddenly realize that someone tried to do that already…and they were partly chewing on something cherry-scented at the time) is also NASTY.

On Topic, I would love to give Zora a hug. Poor little bugger.

Youre uncle is very, very, VERY weird… TAZ weird. I hope he’s no longer in your life. *is more creeped out by the story of the licking uncle than the Jakes’ family violence*

11. Elayne Riggs says:

Dang! Sorry I missed you, Spike. I was all set to buy Volume IV but I always prefer to buy from you directly. Oh well, guess that means I get two volumes next year! :)

12. il biggo says:

Hey! New reader from SMBC here.
    I’ve scanned the archives in a couple of days; not a simple task, as English isn’t my language and your characters have a thing for contractions .-D
    Great art, compelling story, if sometimes confusing (I LIKE IT ^_^). I’m hooked.

13. DCB says:

No matter how they cry and wail, refuse the obvious,or rail against their elders, all children have one lesson in life to learn. Your mother knows you better than you do.

14. pineapple says:

Damn, I looked all over for you at MoCCAfest before realizing you weren’t there. :<

15. kat says:

You know, I realize she is the batshit crazy cultist grandmother from hell, but I kinda like her.

• DCB says:

She’s a wonderful antagonist. Yes I wouldn’t want to know a person like this in real life, but at the same time, you have to respect the fact that she’s in control of a situation that escapes most people at her age.

16. Slidth says:

It’s funny that so many people have commented on the expressions of the other characters, but not Eugene’s, and that’s the one I find most interesting. He seems to have calmed down from the wild eyed man he was the page before and is now strangling Marcus with an expression of mild interest. At this point I feel like the only reason he continues is because Marcus is fighting back.

17. maritza says:

Slidth, I don’t think Gene is calm right now. I’d call the expression “lack of reason and thought.” Gene won’t stop squeezing Marcus’ balls unless an external forces intervenes.

18. Vissermatt says:

Yo, Zach sent us SMBC followers over here, and gotta say. I’m happy he did. The artistic style is pretty darn good, and the story is zanny enough to be fun and entirely new. *heres to more Templar Comics!

19. ZiggySkyedust says:

This webcomic is damn awesome. I’ve been reading all day, I’m hooked!

I don’t think Eugene is killing Marcus, but I bet he’s making the boyo wish he did.

21. NaomiKnight says:

I just realized – Feather’s rosacea seems to have magically cleared up on this page ;) Just thought I’d let ya know.

• yclept3rd says:

yeah I’m not sure it’s rosacea… I think it might be a birthmark since Gene has a similar mark on his nose as well. In any case, I didn’t even notice it was missing until you pointed it out.

22. Dotcom says:

Man, this reminds me of a few family get togethers I went to as a kid where my father and youngest uncle would have it out—usually over something stupid like someone losing at Monopoly. They were Mormons (nice parallel to the Jakes since they are both obsessive about breeding). It’s kind of why I don’t get together with that side of the family anymore. Like Zora, I’d try to stop my father from killing my uncle too.

23. C. Mage says:

You know, Marcus, those are some really shitty last words.

First Rule of Newton’s Law: A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted on by another force. Somebody better do something quick, or Marcus is going to die of an acute case of inertia…

24. J.S. says:

I’m guessing she never let him marry because Gene has done the crotch-yanking move before…

25. Sammie says:

yeeeaaah…. what more can I say? Other than the fact that I would love to read the next page alreadly. (lol)

I wanna see what Marcus will look like after that beating… XD